21 Nov Know your Breasts
An increasing number of women in the US are being diagnosed with breast cancer. About 12% of American women will develop invasive breast cancer in their lifetime. In 2018, an estimated 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in US women. This is why it is important to be aware of the risk factors, signs and symptoms of the disease.
Risk factors of breast cancer
- Receiving hormone replacement therapy
- Lack of exercise
- Not having children or having children above the age of 30
- BRCA 1 or 2 genes and family history, having 1 or more 1st degree relatives with breast cancer, a sister, mother, daughter
Self-examination and screening
Early breast cancer normally doesn’t show any symptoms but it can form a lump in the breast tissue, as it grows. This lump can be felt with self-examination. Other signs can be detected with screening.
Screening of healthy women to achieve an early diagnosis includes –
- breast examination by self and a physician
- genetic screening
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Symptoms and signs of breast cancer
Common signs of breast cancer include –
- a breast lump or thickening that feels different than the surrounding tissue
- bloody discharge from nipple
- changes in the size or shape of a breast
- inverted nipple
- peeling, scaling or flaking of the nipple or breast skin
Prevention is always better than cure. So, seek medical attention immediately if you have reason to suspect something unusual with your breasts.
If you are looking for internal medicine doctors or house call doctors in San Diego, call Pacific Medical Care at 619-333-8114 Today. All you have to do is make a phone call and the doctor will be at your doorstep within a short while!