18 Oct 9 Signs your Weight Loss a Health Red Flag
Unintentional, sudden weight loss could be caused due to several reasons –
- An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism can cause unintentional weight loss. It causes an increase in the metabolic rate, increasing calorie burn.
- If you’re experiencing weight loss along with symptoms like shortness of breath, fatigue, rapid or irregular heartbeats, consult your doctor. Congestive heart failure prevents the digestive system from getting enough blood, causing nausea and lack of appetite and weight loss.
- Diabetes may also cause unintentional weight loss. Diabetes involves a lack of insulin that is needed to absorb glucose. When glucose is then lost through, calories are lost too.
- Depression can lead to a lack of interest in eating and weight loss.
- Gut diseases, such as Celiac disease (gluten allergy) and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis), can reduce the body’s ability to absorb nutrients and hence, weight loss.
- Tuberculosis (TB) can also cause unexplained weight loss.
- Cancer may cause weight loss. Cancer cells have high metabolic activity, hence, using excess energy and calories.
- Addison’s disease leads to low levels of cortisol. Cortisol regulates appetite and metabolism.
- Rheumatoid arthritis causes inflammation that can speed up metabolism and reduce weight.
If you are looking for the best internal medicine or pain management doctors, call Pacific Medical Care at 619-333-8114 Today. All you have to do is make a phone call and the doctor will be at your doorstep within a short while! The San Diego internal medicine doctors at Pacific Medical Care are Board Certified, highly skilled, compassionate and knowledgeable.