Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder in which the patient experiences widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and sleep issues. Fibromyalgia may develop after an accident, surgery, infection, or even psychological stress.
Different fibromyalgia patients experience pain differently. Repeated nerve signals cause the brain and spinal cord to intensify pain.
Fibromyalgia pain management starts with a timely diagnosis. Self-care measures, such as patient-initiated exercise and stress management, to increase energy are extremely important.
There are three common symptoms –
- widespread pain
- fatigue with lack focus and memory, also known as “fibro fog”
- waking up tired
Other complaints include –
- Irritable bowel syndrome – stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and constipation
- Migraines/other headaches – dizziness, increased sensitivity to light, odors, and sounds
- Interstitial cystitis – painful bladder, frequent and painful urination
- Temporomandibular joint pain – jaw pain and stiffness due to muscle tension and tooth grinding
- Depression – fatigue, sleep problems, trouble focusing
Fibromyalgia involves a change in the chemical messengers in your brain and spinal cord. So, symptoms improve with medications that act on the spinal cord and brain, such as anti-depressants. Another medication that is beneficial for fibromyalgia patients is Naltrexone, a medicine that works at the opioid receptors. However, opioids such as Oxycodone and Morphine make symptoms worse. Muscle relaxants may be prescribed to relax the muscles and promote sleep.
Physical therapy can help fibromyalgia patients improve their strength and flexibility. Occupational therapy can help you modify your work area in order to decrease strain on your body.
If you are looking for the best pain management doctors in San Diego, call Pacific Medical Care at 619-333-8114 Today. All you have to do is make a phone call and the doctor will be at your doorstep within a short while! The San Diego pain management doctors at Pacific Medical Care are Board Certified, highly skilled, compassionate and knowledgeable.